Following is a post I recently wrote on Project Inspired:
Ladies, do you and your friends ever wonder what boys think about girls? Are you or one of your friends crushing on a guy and trying to get his attention?
At the end of last year, I gave you a list of 10 Things Teen Boys Don’t Want You To Know! Well, this week I’m giving you a list of 10 things they do want you to know, but that they may not come out and say directly. I hope this will give you some interesting insights into how boys think.
Before you delve into this list, however, know that no two guys, whether they’re non-Christian or Christian, are the same. And not all boys fall into all of these scenarios. So here goes:
- Friendships are important to guys (just like they’re important to you!), and they often will put their friends before girls and dating.
- Flirting is confusing. Guys just don’t understand flirting! Some girls flirt for attention, while others flirt only with guys they like, but guys aren’t privy to the ambiguity behind flirting….so it confuses them!
- Girls who curse and smoke are not cool. Guys may not care if some girls they know smoke or curse, but most would rather the girls they’re interested in keep their language clean and not smell like ashtrays!
- They’re not into drama or backstabbing best friends. When girls gossip or talk negatively about their pals, guys are not impressed. In fact, guys respect girls with integrity.
- They can’t just be friends if they like you. Don’t tell a guy you just want to be friends if he likes you. Consider the flip side! How easy is it for you to hang out with a guy you’re crushing on when he just wants to be friends? It’s no fun!
- They prefer girls they can talk to. Some guys are baited by a pretty face, but beauty fades in the eyes of the beholder if you have a mean streak and no personality. The same goes for guys, right?
- The less makeup, the better. Many guys really like more of a natural look. Too much makeup gives the assumption that you have something to hide!
- Some girls are too boy crazy. While teen guys are interested in girls, many kind of wish girls would tone it down when it comes to boys! Oh, and they just hate the giggling and whispering behind cupped hands!
- They are more comfortable with modesty. They want to look into your eyes when they talk to you and not be distracted by tight or revealing clothes. Guys really don’t like immodesty, and if they do, it’s usually for the wrong reasons.
- Phone calls and text messages are not a commitment. When a guy calls or texts a girl, he may or may not be interested in getting to know her more, but either way, he doesn’t want her to think communication necessarily means commitment.
Ladies, this list is not meant to change you, but rather, give you some insight about the things teen boys wish you knew. However, it will also inform you of two important things. One is that all the things that guys don’t like are negative traits anyway, right? Like gossiping and smoking and being boy crazy. And two, nixing these negative qualities will only help you become more of a Godly girl…which is what your focus should be anyway!
Teen boys are complicated, that’s for sure, but guess what? They think teen girls are too. And the truth is, your teen years are complicated in general. Which is why I continue to urge you to spend your teen years focusing on God, rather than a complicated relationship, that in most cases will end in heartache!
Ladies, what do you think about the above list? Share your story…we love to hear from you!
Check out more of my posts on Project Inspired
If you loved this, then you’re sure to like…