Following is a post I recently wrote on Project Inspired:
Ladies, it’s not easy being a teen girl these days. But what’s more difficult, I feel, is being a Christian teen girl in today’s world.
Scripture offers a pretty good explanation of how we should live our daily lives. But not everyone is Christian–and even some who are don’t live it to the Word. And because of this, much of how others live their lives outside of Christ can be a distraction to Christians who strive to live according to their faith.
Here are the 7 things that make it tough to be a Christian girl today.
- Media. Have you noticed that, whether it’s television, movies or music, so much of what is offered as entertainment is full of violence, promiscuity and other types of immorality? And the media continues to push the envelope in as many ways as possible. As a Christian girl, cherry-pick your media with caution!
- Fashion.With modesty lacking in much of today’s fashion, Christian girls can have a tough time finding appropriate clothing. Short skirts and dresses, plunging necklines and peek-a-boo features are all the fad these days–so much so that modesty has become unique.That’s why I write our Modest Is Hottestseries…to prove that you can look cute and fashionable, and still dress modestly!
- Peer Pressure.You love your BFF and friendships are so important, but not all your friends share your Christian beliefs, right? You want to fit in, or you don’t want to be left out, so do you ever set your Christian values aside…at least for the time you spend with them? And if you don’t, do your friends question, tease or ridicule you? Peer pressure can be a huge distraction to your faith.
- Non-Christians. Do you ever feel like Christians are made to feel abnormal? There was a time when Christianity was the norm. This country was based on Christian values, after all. But somewhere along the line, Christ was pushed out and now He’s rejected. Some non-Christians question your faith, as if your beliefs are outdated or ridiculous.
- Boys. Ugh…boys! It’s tough enough when you have a crush on a guy. But what makes it worse is that more girls are getting together with boys at a much younger age, and in many of those situations, the relationships are intimate. This puts a lot of pressure on everyone and expectations are heightened. How do you deal with that without feeling left out or lonely?
- Society and Schools. Many schools have made it easier for young people to stray away from their Christian values because those Christian values are now so taboo! Everything outside of Christianity is promoted and celebrated. But your Father, your Creator, is shut out! You can’t even glorify Him on a tee for fear of suspension from school.
- Social Media. It may be a fun way to communicate and share with your friends, but social media can take over your world. Christ should come before everything, but many teens are putting social media above Him. God created the earth and everything on it and around it, so don’t get lost in another dimension.
Ladies, it’s tough to be a Christian girl today, but it’s not impossible. Remember that you can do all things through Him. Also, keep this verse close to your heart:
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
As Christians, we will be exposed and tempted by a world that fights God. You don’t have to hide in your home to avoid these things, but you do have to remain vigilante and cautious, and you will likely have to defend your faith often. But that’s okay. Because God’s worth it. And remember too that God understands the difficultly. If you look to Him for strength, He will help you in your most difficult times. Don’t be blinded by the world. Keep your focus on Christ. God bless.
Ladies, do you find it tough being a Christian girl today? Share your story…we love to hear from you!
If you loved this, then you’re sure to like…